Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Resolution One Underway plus other sad mishaps

It was the first day of work for many today, the second day of 2013. Like me I'm sure many of you returned to the realities of daily life dragging your feet into work. I had loads to do on my return: reports of the previous month's performance; a job appraisal yet to be completed as well as preparing myself wholly gorge a new role. A daunting thought but I'm determined to be positive and motivate myself to do even better! Today I also found myself pouting a little less, as I promised to smile more at strangers and make better eye contact, as opposed to looking like the Grinch! As I headed for the gym today after work, I encountered a random act of kindness. While waiting to cross the road to enter the building where my gym was located, a young man decides to stop his car and motioned for me cross over before going on his way. I was grateful, not because I was relieved to have crossed the street as although traffic was heavy, it was also slow moving, so I would have eventually made a less than quick dash across. But it was the fact that someone decided to be nice and willingly wasted a few seconds to give me way that's put a warm fuzzy feeling in my heart. But that didn't last long. As I got in the elevator to head up to the gym, I waited for this couple to enter so I held the door for them as they took a while before deciding to ride the lift with me. But was there any show of gratitude?? Certainly not. Then when we got to our floor and I motioned for them to get off first, they obviously did but again... no thank you. While I don't expect anything in return for being kind to people I sure as hell am not expecting them to not show any sign of acknowledgement either. Ah well, the year is still young and I will continue to report on the kindness of strangers as well as the indifference of some. Time for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment