Thursday, January 3, 2013

Going meatless post-Christmas and NY holidays

The Christmas holidays is everyone's excuse to gorge on too much food and drink, especially meat! Turkey, lamb, pork, chicken and beef (usually in that order) are consumed on an almost daily basis until New Year's day, when brand new resolutions kick in, the most famous being taking better care of one's health, and I'm being kind here. That's what I planned to do when I returned to work. It's been two days, and I've upped my fish, vege and fruit intake, without touching chicken at all. But then the leftovers of mum's Pork Vindaloo which we ate on New Year's day was too tempting to resist! So now I feel a little ill. Urrgghhh... This is also the time when we tend to appreciate simpler meals after eating too much of meat the week prior. Spinach soup with chicken feet, prawn sambal and fried chinese sausages are all one needs to be blissfully happy. :) It's also day two of my 2013 workout. Walking at a slower pace than usual on the treadmill has never been as challenging as it was today, simply because I was walking through the pain in my left knee. It took all of my willpower not to push the big fat STOP button when all I needed to do was complete 15 minutes with an incline of 6%. And not workin out for 3 weeks then going back and starting over is like joining a boot camp! Every muscle hurts like the first time I had my butt kicked by my personal trainer on my first session with him. Speaking of working out, I'm always amazed by some of the members at the gym who can't help but cast what I think are envious stares at my sheer ability to sweat buckets within five minutes of starting my workout. What they don't realise is that I wished I didn't sweat so much, except of course at the gym. But it happens at will, especially when I stand near a heat source. Beads of sweat start to appear on my forehead and neck within 10 seconds!! I feel so cursed!! But being a fool for pain, I'm going back for more tomorrow. Adrenaline pumping through your veins sure feels better than a few shots of tequila during happy hour on a Friday night! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment