Friday, August 19, 2011

The Business of Word-Play

I’ve always wanted my own little business.

But I didn’t know what kind of business it was going to be. Then a former friend suggested we sell jewelry. After discovering how easy it was to source for supplies, I started making a few pieces with the beads I had and had my sister take them to work to see if there was a future for me in jewelry making.

She came back with 3 of the 15 pieces I had passed to her to sell! Excited, I made more pieces of jewelry a few weeks later and had her try to sell them for me. It wasn’t so bad until I realized I had to replenish my stock of supplies. So I did and made a few more, and sold a few more things, all the while wondering if this friend was still interested in the joint-venture she initially suggested. I ended up doing this side business by myself.

Unfortunately after some time, I suffered from designer’s block! Had no idea what else to create, and eventually left my stash alone, thinking I’d come back to it when I’m next inspired. Well that didn’t happen for another year, during which time I was considering another kind of venture – bags. I came up with designs but never got around to actually putting a bag together, period! By now you’d notice that I’m a classic procrastinator. I’ll keep making plans to do things but they never pan out. It’s usually due to not feeling very creative, especially when you work nights and want to crash the moment you head home.

Sure, I tinkered with a few pieces – my first hobo bag made from an old skirt and my grandmother’s old sarung, and a makeup bag from a preppy pinstripe cotton fabric I purchased from the local fabric shop. I’ve also made fabric flowers, sewn a skirt and a top for my cousin’s wedding, plus a few other experiments, but I could never commit to just sticking to one thing.

So here I sit, bashing my keyboard, hoping for inspiration. They say that you should do what you love, and that is what will make a successful business venture. Well I don’t know if I’d want to have my own business for right now, I just don’t have the time to invest 100% of myself into doing anything long term. However, I do enjoy writing, telling stories, whining, screaming to the world about the world’s injustices! I love words and how stringing a whole bunch together allows you laugh, talk, shout, scream, say I-Love-You or even You Suck! to another human being.

Sure, as much as conversation is fun, it would be difficult to beautifully articulate your long standing infatuation for that senior in high school and how he makes you heart skip a beat every time you see him… by saying it to his face! I’d rather run for the nearest hill and stay there with the coyotes than express unrequited love verbally. That’s what letters are for! You pour your bleeding heart out on paper, and when you’re finally done, fold it put it in a perfumed envelope then kiss the seal as you hand it with trembling hands to a friend you hope will keep your identity a secret. And once the letter is passed on to your beloved, you wonder with excitement and bated breath if he knows you exist and who you are. No! You don’t want him to know that the girl who’s been silently stalking him around school at recess, ducking for cover every time he senses you’re watching, is the same you who’s said how much you love him in that bleeding letter. UNLESS… he feels the same way, then of course you’d want to run to him and say: “YES, it’s me! The one you’ve been waiting for and loved from afar for so long.”

Alas, he doesn’t know you ever existed but you’re ok with that. Content that you’ve said all you’ve wanted to say to him and hope that he’ll start looking for you, perhaps, with the desire to pour his bleeding heart out to you.

AHEM! So where were we?? Ah yes, the power of words, the written word especially. It has the power to incite hatred; move mountains with its passionate call to do what is right and just for the human cause; save endangered species; mend broken relationships; end bad ones…
It’s true I love to write and express my emotions and thoughts, good and bad. Maybe I should consider writing for a magazine or a paper. Make it my business to share a few laughs, food for thought or even nostalgia of the past with other readers. Or maybe, I could start my own version of Hallmark and create cards that say what its sender can’t in person.

I’m going to have to make time for that too, and now I’m wishing there was 30 hours in a day, ARRGGHH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment