Friday, August 21, 2009

A Taste of New Orleans Jazz right here in KL!


I love jazz music!

Any chance I get, I'll drag my friends with me to a jazz fest or concerts that are held year-round in the city.

The Petronas Philharmonic Hall, situated between the Petronas Twin Towers, hosts jazz bands, mostly uncommercial but widely popular in their country of origin, from time to time. And I don't think I've missed a single show there (actually I did.... HARRY CONNICK, Jr!!!), especially since the tickets are dirt cheap!

Anyway, we were there to watch the Preservation Hall Jazz Band from New Orleans, who performed at the hall on Aug 15 and 16. I hadn't heard of the band prior to the concert, but I was aware of the rich history and legacy of the city of New Orleans in its contribution to jazz music. So I was really looking forward to hearing them perform.

Concert night, my buddy Kim and I went straight to the box office to collect our tickets and get dinner before heading up to the hall. I had forgotten that the dress code for this type of concert was smart casual. Still, I was shocked at what some of the audience were wearing!!

Does no one know what the term, "smart casual" means?? It does not mean wearing three-quarter drainpipe or cargo pants; neither does it mean wearing round neck tee shirts OR sneakers OR slippers!!! Yet, there were aunties that looked like they'd just gone grocery shopping before making their way to the show. Yikes! It looks some of us need to educate ourselves on what constitutes smart casual whenever an event calls for this kind of dress code.

Back to the concert... It was love at first sound for PHJB! The band members consisted of seasoned professionals both young and old (the band leader is 36-year-old cutie, Mark Braud) who've played with jazz greats and legends, past and present.
They not only entertained the audience with their talent playing their respective instruments, but got us laughing as well, with their solo vocal renditions that were more like stories told to the sound of bluesy, soulful jazz.

I still have goosebumps thinking about last week's show, which was way too short and ended way too soon. My love for jazz just quadrupled after watching them perform.

The band will be in Taipei on the 28th and will end their Asian tour at Taipei on Sept 1.

Man, I soooo wanna go to New Orleans now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment